Community Visitors Scheme
The Community Visitors Scheme aims to decrease social isolation in the community for older Tasmanians. The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is a national program funded by the Department of Health. It aims to enrich the quality of life of older people throughout Tasmania:
· Living in the community, who are recipients of a Home Care Package to help extend the time they can remain living in their home independently
· Aged care residents who are socially isolated or lonely and would benefit from a friendly visitor
· Residents of aged care homes who would benefit from Group Visits, which can be spent undertaking activities they enjoy.
CVS also works to establish links between residents living in aged care homes and their local community to ensure that they continue to live a full and vibrant life.
Community Visitors Volunteers
Our Community Visitors are volunteers who have been carefully matched with older people and who are committed to meeting with them weekly or at least once a fortnight.
All of our Community Visitors have been screened and trained and participate in one of three ways:
· One-to-one visits in residential aged care homes; or
· Group visits in residential aged care homes (visiting two or more residents at the same time); or
· Visiting older people living in their own home, who are receiving a Home Care Package.
Visits are spent doing the things that the older person most enjoys, like reading, listening to music, watching a favourite TV show or just chatting and reminiscing. Activities may also extend to a walk or an outing, subject to the health and mobility of the person being visited.
If you would like to speak to someone about participating in our Community Visitors Scheme, you can contact:
Deborah Brett (03) 6424 6547 – North West
We are currently seeking volunteers to support socially isolated older Tasmanians in Southern and North West Tasmania through our Community Visitors Scheme.
If you love connecting with others, are interested in learning new skills or making new friends, volunteering at Lifeline Tasmania might be right for you.
To find out more email firstname.lastname@example.org